The perfect addition to any summer picnic, this fruit salad
is simple to make and great to enjoy on a hot summer day. It is one of my
favorites for this time of year at the Historic Smithton Inn
You’ll notice some interesting ingredients below. I add
orange juice to keep the apples from turning brown, and I use brown sugar and
strawberry jam to give the salad a unique, sweet touch without overwhelming the
Apple Strawberry Kiwi
What You’ll Need:
- 2 to 3 firm, tart apples (I typically use Fuji apples)
- 2 to 3 kiwis
- 2 c. strawberries (hulled)
- ¼ c. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. strawberry jam
How To Make It:
- Peel and core the apples. Cut all fruit into
bite-sized pieces and put the pieces in a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the orange
juice, brown sugar, and strawberry jam.
- Pour the mixture over the medium bowl of fruit
and gently toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Bring this healthful treat to a cookout or enjoy it with
your kids during lunch. No matter where you serve it, this recipe is sure win
accolades from your family and friends.
By Rebecca Gallagher