As summer winds down and autumn is no longer a distant reality, why not start planning your Lancaster County theatre “must see” list? Our favorite performance venues have a diverse and delectable line up of shows on deck.
Here are some highlights of what’s happening this 2014 Lancaster County Fall Theatre Season:
Ephrata Performing Arts Center / Sharadin Bigler Theatre
– Not only does EPAC put on exceptional productions, it’s also ultra-convenient from the Historic Smithton Inn
. Literally, it’s just down the street from us! EPAC is a critically-acclaimed community theater, offering everything from classics to avant garde shows. I think you’ll enjoy the more intimate stage arrangement, as well.
Death of a Salesman
Arthur Miller’s classic American tale
September 4 – 20
The captivating Broadway musical brought to life right here in Ephrata
October 16 – November 1
The Fulton Theatre
with its stunning architecture and history delivers an unforgettable theater experience. The Fulton is located in downtown Lancaster and is just a half hour drive from our inn. You’ll find an array of productions from favorite Broadway shows to fun musicals for the whole family.
Lend me a Tenor
Hilarity at its best in this beloved musical
October 7 – 26
Sight & Sound Theatre
presents breathtaking productions that bring the stories of the Bible to life. The theater is easily accessible to our guests; it’s just 20 miles from our inn. Sight & Sound has become a favorite destination for people of all religious backgrounds. Nearly all of their shows feature live animals, so children stay engaged and entertained! For an extra special experience, check out the “Behind the Scenes Tour” to discover how the Sight & Sound crews create their magic.
The greatest epic tale from the Old Testament on stage
March 8, 2014 – February 7, 2015
Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre
– Theater, food, and fun all rolled into one, Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre serves up entertaining musicals accompanied by a delightful meal. Who doesn’t love dinner and a show? Or you can opt to attend only the theater performance.
Tony Award winning musical set in the era of change that was the 1950’s.
August 14 – September 20
Crazy For You
An extravagant high-energy musical with some of Gershwin’s classics
September 26 – November 8
Rainbow Dinner Theatre
– Offering still more theater, food and fun, Rainbow Dinner Theater is known for “all comedy…all the time” – and their delicious dinners of course.
Drinking Habits (a nun’s story)
August 16 – October 25
– Just 40 miles west on Rte. 322, you’ll find the Hershey Theatre. This gorgeous venue offers a wide variety of entertainment including Broadway performances, concerts, and even classic films.
To see their full list of events, visit their website
American Music Theatre
– A plethora of live musical performances awaits you at AMT! And it’s all just 20 minutes from the Historic Smithton Inn. AMT’s season also offers comedy and specialty performances. Love music? They’ve got it all: Rock, Country, Classical, Big Band, and more. You’ll be impressed by their lineup of featured stars on tour. Be sure to check out their own original shows, too.
Here’s a sampling of what’s on their schedule this fall:
Music of the Night: The Songs of Andrew Lloyd Webber
(an AMT original)
Through October 11
Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo
And there’s a lot more where that came from! For more shows at AMT, see their website
By Rebecca Gallagher
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net