If you love French toast, you’re in for a real treat with this Strawberry-Apple Streusel Baked French
Toast recipe. With the deliciousness of sweet apples, strawberries, and cinnamon, it will surely become a breakfast and brunch favorite in your home.
Here’s what you’ll need…
- 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced. (I prefer
sweet apples like Fuji or Gala.)
- Cinnamon sugar (2 Tbsp cinnamon + 1 Tbsp granulated
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 loaf sweet bread or equivalent of rolls (like challah or
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
And here’s what you need to do…
- Spray 12 large muffin tin cups with non-stick cooking
- Peel and slice apples, laying half of them down on the
bottom of each cup.
- Sprinkle tops of apple slices with cinnamon sugar.
- Mix together eggs, half and half, milk, almond extract,
cinnamon and sugar. Gently combine bread with egg mixture, then distribute half
the bread mixture among the cups, layer the remaining apple slices, then
sprinkle tops of apples again with cinnamon sugar, top with remaining bread and
sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Once ready to prepare the casserole, preheat oven to 350
- Slice strawberries and layer them over the top of the cups.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slice cold
butter and add to mixture. Using a pastry cutter or fork to combine until you
have a “crumble” consistency.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven between 30-40 minutes or until
cooked through and cups “puff” up.
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes.
Use large spoon to scoop out each cup. Place on plate,
serve with a side of whipped cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top.
NOTE: If you prefer to make this as a 9 x 13 casserole
just adapt the cooking time to between 45 – 55 minutes. Cover with foil
if top becomes too brown before French toast is cooked through.
Dig in and enjoy!
Image courtesy of Dawn Mentzer