Typically this Blog has been devoted to stories about local events or activities that guests can enjoy when they visit Lancaster County and the Smithton Inn. But lets face it, one of the best things about staying in a Bed and Breakfast is…. (drum roll)
… the breakfast
! So, I decided that it made sense to include some of our favorite recipes in this blog; and for the first one I’m sharing the breakfast we made this morning. With fall finally in the air, the smell of baking apples, cinnamon & nutmeg just seemed fitting.
Apple Puffed Pancake
8 medium apples
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cups packed light brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cup pancake mix
2/3 cups milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Pre-Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat until it starts to foam
- Add the apples and cook them until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside
- In medium bowl, combine pancake mix, milk, sugar, vegetable oil and eggs. Beat with wire whisk until smooth.
- Spray two (2) pie tins with non-stick spray (Pam)
- Divide fruit between pans, top with pancake mixture.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip onto a large plate, cut into 4-6 wedges. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
Serve with whipped cream on the side.