Lancaster County has some amazing theater venues providing everything from Broadway blockbusters to tug-at-the-heart-strings dramas to comedies that take your cares away. Here’s a rundown of some of the fine performances gracing our area this spring in 2014.
Ephrata Performing Arts Center / Sharadin Bigler Theatre
– Less than a mile from the Historic Smithton Inn, you can enjoy critically-acclaimed community theater at EPAC. The talent there rivals anything you’ve seen on Broadway. From classics to productions with an edge, Ephrata Performing Arts Center excels at it all.
The Wizard of Oz (Young Performers Edition)
Feb. 7 – 23
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
March 20 – April 5
Sunday in the Park with George
May 1 – 17
presents unforgettable stage shows in one of the most exquisite theater settings in our county. From the best of Broadway shows to family favorite productions, you’ll discover why the Fulton has won the hearts of lovers of live theater of all ages from near and far.
March 11 – 30
Buddy – The Buddy Holly Story
April 22 – May 11
Sight & Sound Theatres
’ breathtaking productions bring the Bible to life. The theater has become a popular destination for people of all religious beliefs and backgrounds. Just a 20 min drive from us, Sight & Sound will give you an exceptional theater experience. Most shows feature live animals – always a kids-pleaser! You can also take a “Behind the Scenes Tour
” to discover how the theater creates their spectacular performances.
March 8, 2014 – February 7, 2015
Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre
– Drive less than 20 miles from the Historic Smithton Inn and you’ll discover theater, food and fun all in one place. Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre delivers entertaining musicals that are always a hit. Enjoy dinner and a show, or you opt to attend only the theater performances.
Caught in the Net
February 13 – March 22
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
March 27 – May 11
May 15 – June 21
Rainbow Dinner Theatre
– How good can it get? We have TWO dinner theaters within just a brief 30-minute drive from the Historic Smithton Inn! You can count on Rainbow Dinner Theater for “all comedy…all the time.” Prepare for lots of laughs and a delightful meal.
January 24 – March 22
Anybody for Murder
March 29 – May 24
– Just 40-miles west from the Historic Smithton Inn on Rte. 322, discover the majestic Hershey Theatre. They host a phenomenal array of shows including concerts, classic films, and Broadway performances.
Visit the Hershey Theatre website for their full list of events
American Music Theatre
– If you love live music, don’t miss AMT’s line up of musical performances. They also offer various comedy and specialty performances there. From their own original shows to featured stars on tour, you’ll find entertainment from musical genres including Rock, Country, Classical, Big Band, and more. And AMT is less than 20 minutes away from our inn!
Upcoming events include:
Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons
America & Christopher Cross
See the AMT website for the other shows on deck this spring
I hope you’ll get out and enjoy the great local theater in Lancaster County this spring. And stay tuned for the line up of summer productions in a future post!
By Rebecca Gallagher
Image courtesy of Master isolated images / FreeDigitalPhotos.net