May 13th is National Apple Pie Day, but rather than posting an Apple Pie photo & recipe, I thought I’d choose more of a Lancaster County specialty… Shoo Fly Pie!
Do you have special foods you miss / crave from Lancaster County? Comment on this post with your favorite foods & places you get them… because it’s not just Rebecca & Dave who miss you… all your favorite shops & restaurants in the area are eager to welcome you back too!
We hope to see you all again soon, but until then, #StayCalmBakePie!!
Traditional Amish Shoo Fly Pie Recipe:
From the Amish Heritage Cookbook (Page 144)
1 c. flour
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 rounded Tbsp. shortening or margarine
1 c. molasses
3/4 c. hot water
1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1/4 c. hot water
Pastry for one 9-inch single-crust pie
Combine flour, brown sugar, and shortening; make crumbs either by hand or using a pastry blender. Set aside 1/2 c. crumbs to sprinkle on top of pre-baked pie.
Combine molasses, hot water, egg, and baking soda dissolved in water; mix well. Stir crumbs into liquid. Pour resulting mixture into pie crust and top with reserved crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
MY recipe (shown in photo above!):
* Book your getaway at the Historic Smithton Inn
* Ask Rebecca for the BACKROADS directions to the Bird-in-Hand Bake shop
* Take in some specticular Amish Farms and scenic country roads
* Arrive at the Bird-in-Hand Bake Shop
* Purchase the best Shoo Fly Pie in Lancaster County! Plus lots of other delicious treats, while you’re there!!!
For anyone interested, here’s the BACKSTORY about Shoo Fly Pie , read this