At the Historic Smithton Inn
, we’re happy to prepare meals that accommodate guests’ special dietary needs.
These Zucchini Corn Cakes have been a big hit with our guests who request food that’s vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free or lactose-free. We prepare them almost entirely from ingredients picked from our own garden. Even if you don’t have any special dietary requirements, you’ll find this summer dish absolutely delicious!
Zucchini Corn Cakes Recipe (serves 4)
What you’ll need:
And for the topping:
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn (I prefer the small, white corn)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute)
- 1 cup pancake mix (regular OR gluten free!)
- 1 Tbsp Milk (or lactose free milk)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Vegetable oil or non-stick spray for cooking
How to make it:
- Sour cream
- 1 cup mixed color tomatoes (cherry, grape, yellow & orange – quartered)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
1. In large bowl, stir together zucchini, corn, onion, egg, pancake mix, milk, salt and pepper.
2. Grease griddle or skillet with oil, or use nonstick griddle; heat over medium heat (350°F).
3. For each corn cake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
4. Combine tomatoes, basil & olive oil.
5. Serve corn cakes topped with sour cream and tomatoes. Garnish with basil.
Pretty simple, right? You’ll definitely score points with your friends and family if you treat them to this simple, tasty recipe this summer.
By Rebecca Gallagher
Image courtesy of dan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net