Serving this breakfast dish can make the most ordinary of mornings extra special – especially if you love bananas. Our guests at the Historic Smithton Inn
tell me it’s nothing short of amazing paired with a hot cup of coffee. You MUST try this one at home!
Banana Bread Pudding with Banana Cream Sauce
The ingredients you’ll need for the Bread Pudding…
- 4 Cups Texas Toast, cut in cubes (or enough to fill 12 “large” muffin tins)
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups mashed bananas (approximately 2)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp rum or brandy
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 4 Tbsp butter, cold, cut into pieces
And for the Banana Cream Sauce…
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup Banana Flavored Liquor
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Also have some sliced bananas ready to use as a garnish.
How to make it:
Creating the Bread Pudding…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 12 “large” muffin cups.
- Dry bread cubes either overnight or in the oven for 10 minutes (tossing to dry evenly).
- Divide bread between muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the pudding ingredients except butter.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes. Allow to soak at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Divide butter over top of each muffin cup.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until pudding is set in the center.
Creating the Banana Cream Sauce…
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the Banana flavored liquor and whisk until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, scald cream over medium heat.
- Add the Banana slurry to the hot cream and whisking constantly, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook, whisking for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar. Whisk until dissolved. Let cool to room temperature before serving with the bread pudding.
Serve the bread pudding and sauce warm to your family and friends. Trust me…they’ll “go bananas” over this tasty breakfast dish!
By Rebecca Gallagher